Musbury Tor.

Musbury Tor

Musbury Tor dominates the village of Helmshore, it was once the site of an Iron Age fortification and in the the 14th.century a Royal Deer park owned by the Earl of Lincoln and enclosed by a ditch and wooden paling, of which the outline is still visible today.By the early 1500’s the area had been divided into eight seperate plots and was then used as farming land.

In 1851 the Musbury population was around 1,228 inhabitants by 1861 it had fallen to 997 people, a reflection of the ebb and flow of factory employment in the area .

Tor with its winter coat on.
View from Tor
Misty Tor
Misty Tor
Looking back across the valley.