The website for the Helmshore village and surrounding area.
In 1859,Calf Hey Reservoir was constructed,to supply water to Bury. Completed in 1861 at a cost of £12,000,this was followed by Ogden Reservoir in 1912. Beneath the reservoir’s waters lie the remains of Broad Holden and Calf Hey mills.
By the 1920’s the village was practically deserted and with the lack of employment opportunities, families had left to seek other ways to earn a living.
The Grane valley had been a home to cottage weavers ,farm workers and Quarrymen. Over 1,300 people inhabited the village and the scattered farms on the hillside,the community had three mills,school, church ,chapel and a pub.
Eventually the completion of the three reservoirs and the subsequent need for a clean water catchment area brought about the end of village life.